Educational Goals for the Pope Leo XIII Institute
1. Educate Clergy.
To educate bishops, priests, exorcists, deacons, and laity in the theological, spiritual, and historical concepts of evil as a basis towards developing a fundamental understanding of the deliverance and exorcism ministry, its processes, and its relationship to psychiatric medicine.
2. Infuse Contemplative Prayer and Discernment into the Ministry of Healing, Exorcism, and Deliverance.
Infuse Contemplative Prayer and Discernment into the Ministry of Healing, Exorcism, and Deliverance. To create a greater depth of spiritual interiority for clergy, laity, and health professionals through essential growth in discernment and contemplative prayer.
3. Increase Mastery of a Conceptual Framework for Understanding this Healing Ministry.
To instill in clergy, laity, and health professionals a conceptual framework for understanding the myriad ways that evil operates in people, from temptation to obsession, oppression, and full demonic possession.
4. Deepen an Understanding of how the Sacraments and RCIA relate to Exorcism.
To renew in clergy a deeper understanding of how RCIA and the sacraments of Baptism, Penance, Eucharist, Confirmation, and Anointing of the Sick relate to the use of the solemn rites of major exorcism.
5. Educate on Discernment of Spirits.
To develop a Pauline practice of the discernment of evil spirits in their particular roles in temptation, obsession, oppression, and possession.
6. Develop Inner Healing Ministry towards Greater Depths of Service.
To assist priests and deacons in developing ministries of inner healing for those afflicted with demonic attachment both as a part of preparation for exorcism and as an essential component of aftercare.
7. Increase Capacity to Distinguish and Discern between Psychiatric Phenomena and Spiritual Manifestations.
To increase the capacity of clergy, health professionals, and laity to distinguish the critical differences between manifestations of mental illness versus the presence of evil.
8. Develop a Professional Learning Community.
To develop the Pope Leo XIII Institute as a learning community where clergy, health experts, and other professionals collaboratively gather to dialogue, share expertise, and critically assess the aspects of exorcism practice and knowledge through engaging presentations, dynamic classroom study, and interactive clinical practicum experiences.
9. Develop the Spirituality of the Priest as Exorcist.
To foster growth and development for the spirituality of each attendee as a part of his priestly ministry.